White Chicken Chili

Hi Ladies,

I am new here having recently come to the conclusion that I, too, suffer from candida.

I am interested in making this chili and I wonder how suitable it is for someone just starting the modified eating. What should I substitute and with what? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Val Eek
Original Post
I think everything in the recipe should be ok. If you have a dairy allergy, you could just omit the butter and add a little extra olive oil. I use a little butter even though i don't eat any other dairy. Also, this is spicy, so if your digestion is very compromised, just adjust the spices to your taste! I've always eaten very spicy foods (i'm originally from Louisiana!), and this was a little challenge to my stomach because of my digestion. It was worth it though!!! All of us react differently to different foods, so you can always adjust a recipe if you find you can't tolerate something. Make sure to use organic chicken broth too...Imagine is a good brand. Good Luck!
Val, you could also make clarified butter if you can't have the dairy, since that takes away the milk sugar & is totally ecceptable to eat on this diet.

As soon as I have time to cook again, I think this will be my first recipe to try out. Sandi, it sounds delicious!

~Tia
HFood combining caution if using tortillas (can use on lettuce instead)

I had this in Leavenworth, WA a few years back on a cold winter night, it is a delicious dish and brings back wonderful memories....

White Chicken Chili

2 large chicken breasts cut into 1/2 inch chunks
2 T olive oil
1 T butter
1/2 cup chopped onoion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1 or 2 jalapenos, chopped fine
1 or 2 chopped garlic cloves
1 T coriander seeds
1 T cumin seeds
1 t red chiles or more if you like heat
chili powder to taste, I use 2 T
3 or 4 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 can of great northern beans or pinto is good, too
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

*yogurt, more chopped cilantro and shredded mock cheese if desired for garnish

warm gluten free flatbreads or tortillas for dunking (or serve on a bed of lettuce or wrapped in lettuce if you want healthier food combining)

Stir fry chicken with chili powder in oil and butter until nicely browned. Remove chicken and stir fry veggies in the chicken juices. Add more butter or oil if necessary. Grind the whole spices together and add 1/2 of it to the veggie mixture and simmer for a few minutes. Add some liquid if necessary. You may have to add more or less of the spice mixture depending on the freshness and quality of your spices. Add the chicken back and the broth as well. You may want to add more broth if you like it more soupy. Simmer for about an hour and then add the drained beans and cilantro and cook until heated through. Serve in wide bowls with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and a little grated cheese, if desired. It is delicious even without the cheese and yogurt. It leaves your kitchen with the most wonderful aroma, everyone wants the recipe. You may have to adjust the seasonings and the liquid amounts. I came home from Leavenworth and made several batches before I got it right. They sold the bag of beans and a spice packet for 5 bucks, (in 1990), but didn't tell you what was in it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. This batch doesn't feed more than 4, so I always double it. It freezes very well. Be sure and grind the whole spices, it makes a huge difference. I use a mortar and pestle to grind them....really brings the scent and flavor out from the spice.
Jennifer,

What you could also do for the broth, what I'd do, is cook the chicken in water, along with some celery, onion, and garlic for flavor and save it for the broth, . OR steam the chicken in a steamer, and save the drippings for the broth.

Just a thought...

jan Cool

Add Reply

Likes (0)

Disclaimer: Information provided on the Whole Approach website, forum or blog has been obtained from a variety of resources. It is provided for educational purposes only. The information provided by Whole Approach, WholeApproach Representatives, including Tarilee Cornish, should not be considered diagnostic or medical advice. None of the information provided by Whole Approach is intended to replace the guidance of your personal health care practitioners and/or physician. Please consult your licensed medical or naturopathic physician before beginning, or making changes to your supplement, diet or exercise protocol.