Am I relapsing?
If your symptoms worsen after an initial improvement, there are several common reasons for this. One or more of the following may be true for you.
- You could be experiencing a Die Off reaction. You can read a lot about this phenomenon on the Whole Approach® website (Die-Off). Die-off can continue to be an issue for you throughout the beginning and middle of your program. As you move towards recovery, your episodes of die-off related symptoms (and candida-related symptoms) become fewer and farther between.
- Your body may not be ready to proceed to the next stage. In this case, you'll want to return to the previous diet stage/product protocol that you were comfortable with and stabilize yourself for another couple of weeks before you attempt to make this transition again.
- A worsening of symptoms can be caused by a food intolerance/allergy. It is possible that anytime throughout the program, you could uncover an existing hidden food allergy/intolerance or you could develop a new food allergy/intolerance.
- Sometimes you won't discover a food intolerance until you've abstained from that food for a while. By taking a break from the offending food, your immune systems will have a chance to recover from the chronic exposure. Reintroduction can trigger an easily recognizable reaction. Even if the reaction is delayed, you'll be more likely to identify it than if you had continued to eat the food without a break.
- You may be experiencing a healing crisis or healing event. This can be symptoms of the body detoxifying, repairing, and/or rebalancing. Thus it's not always bad. This process can stimulate some temporary, uncomfortable symptoms. The article linked to above can help you try to determine if this is what is happening for you.
- You may be experiencing symptoms of environmental illness, or a viral and/or bacterial infection that is making you feel worse.