The 'Reset' post below referenced this food for one of the mono diet 'reset' strategies to recover from an indulgent diet season. This one is lovely.
Ayurvedic Detox Bowl
Ayurvedic Detox Bowl -4 servings A vegan recipe for Khichari.
Author: Sylvia Fountaine | Feasting at Home Blog
- ½ C diced onion
- 1 ½ T olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 T grated ginger
- 1 T chopped garlic
- 1 tsp whole mustard seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 small dried red chili pepper, crumbled(or half for less spicy)
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup split mung beans or whole mung beans soaked over night.
- ½ cup toasted buckwheat (kashi) or brown basmati rice
- 2 ½ cup water
- 2 Cups chopped vegetables ( like carrot, parsnips, celery, fennel bulb, cauliflower, broccoli)
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro or Italian parsley
- squeeze lemon or lime
- 1 diced iced tomato
- In a medium pot, saute onion in oil over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium add ginger and garlic, and saute a few minutes, until golden and fragrant.
- Add spices, pepper, salt and stirring, toast for a few more minutes. Add soaked mung beans and buckwheat or brown rice.
- Add water and 2 cups chopped veggies bring to a good boil. Cover. Turn heat to low, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Check for doneness.
- Continue cooking for 5 to 10 more minutes if necessary. Some rice takes longer, and if you do not pre-soak your whole mung beans, you will need to add more water, which will change the recipe proportions and flavor...so try to soak if possible.
- Once it is done, spoon into bowls, top with fresh diced tomato and fresh cilantro or parsley and a pinch of salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lemon or lime.
- For someone who is not in "detoxing" mode, drizzle a little olive oil over the top of the tomatoes too.
Source - Feasting at home