- Remember, you are making dietary choices to nourish you. The diet is designed to deprive the yeast - not you. Counter any feelings of deprivation by exploring exciting new foods and recipes that are delicious and nourishing to the body and the soul.
- Focus on what you can have, instead of what you can't and remember the benefits of your choices.
- Empty your cupboards of those items that are inappropriate for your program, so you won't be tempted.
- Plan ahead; utilize rotation-diet and recipe books that help you to organize your groceries and meal plans.
- Visit our forum pages, for help with diet questions and recipes.
- Ask your loved ones to participate in the diet with you or, at a minimum, to respect your choices.
As you start feeling better it will become easier for you to find the inspiration you need to optimize your nutritional self-care.
For some personality types, change can be relatively easy. For others, the transition to new habits can be difficult. Rest assured that once you get into the habit of focusing on wellness instead of sickness, your new habits will feel more natural to you.
No matter how good your intentions are, you can't expect to be able to follow the diet perfectly - at least initially. You're bound to go back and forth for the first little while. If you feel symptoms creeping back, you can revive your determination and start again, and again, and again if need be.
Try to be objective when you fill out your weekly questionnaire so that you don't become overly-optimistic about proceeding to the next stage of your diet (or overly pessimistic about your progress). See the Questionnaire page for more information.
Food cravings can be powerful. Cravings can be caused by candida die off, allergies, dehydration, protein deficiency and vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Of course, the best way to manage intense cravings is to understand why you are having them.
Sorting out cravings and their origins comes down to careful self-observation and learning to recognize the different types of cravings. If you feel that you can't live without a certain food and the need to eat it is overwhelming, you will probably be better off resisting, because it is not a real body need.
Candida Die-off: The survival of the candida depends upon sugar. As the yeast are dying, they can initiate a craving for sugar or starch. The habitual use of sugar for short-lived bursts of energy can also perpetuate sugar cravings.
Simple thirst and protein deficiency can also create sugar cravings.
If we are allergic or intolerant to a food, that intolerance may come along with an uncontrollable desire to eat that food. That is especially true of foods that create either a stimulating or sedating effect when we eat them.
Anxiety, depression, grief, self-doubt, fear, anger and almost any stressful emotion can trigger a craving for a comfort food. Sweet and starchy foods temporarily increase serotonin levels, "comforting us" for a short time.
As our health improves, our bodies adjust and begin to send food signals that are more in tune with our true nutritional needs. For example, when we need calcium, we may crave broccoli instead of craving ice cream. We'll come to recognize nutritional imbalances that can create unhealthy urges and learn health-boosting strategies to overcome them.
Some people start their Whole Approach Candida Diet at the same time as the colon cleansing, anti-fungal protocol. I strongly suggest, unless you are in excellent health, have already done some detoxification programs AND adapt very well to dietary and lifestyle change…that you give yourself time to adjust to the diet first, before introducing the anti-fungal.
If your bowels are fairly regular despite your dietary adjustments, you may wish to add the gentle colon support of the Whole Approach core products, Bentonite, Psyllium and Probioplus. You can do this while still delaying the addition of the anti-fungal Caproyl. We only recommend scheduling the start of your anti-fungal support if you are confident that the following conditions are met:
- your bowels have adjusted to the Bentonite and Psyllium Blend and are still moving regularly
- you feel free from detoxification symptoms
- you're not having fluctuating symptoms nor signs of new food intolerance's