*Homemade Chicken Broth

Smile Hi everyone!! This is REALLY easy to make and it helps me to justify the money I spend on my organic fowl--using every part of it is a good way to do that!!

Okay, I roast all kinds of birds in the week--cornish hens, guinea hens, chicken, ducks--anything that'll chirp, gobble, or quack--I'm a crazy about them! So I start a bag in my freezer (separate ones for each bird) and just freeze all the bones and carcasses until I have a good amount (for chicken I susally use two carcasses plus leg and wing bones--hens I usually use four carcasses, ducks one because they're too expensive and big to be saving them up in the freezer!!)

So then I take out the hen bones for instance and throw them in a soup cauldron and just cover the bones and carcass with spring water and add:

1/2 tsp. crushed rosemary
1 tsp. thyme
10 black peppercorns
3 bay leaves
A few shakes of salt (I lie, I put a TON in but never mind)
3 carrots
4 stalks of celery
2 onions

Then I bring it to a roaring boil take the lid off, and then leave it on medium (this is important because any lower and you won't get all the taste out of the bones) for an hour and a half to two hours.

Then strain it and add salt--this is important--the salt will bring the taste to the fore. Cool and then freeze in one-serving jars or in larger ones--I use this for the base broth in my kohlrabi soup--it's gorgeous!

Good luck and enjoy!!

Ashley

Smile
Original Post
Ashley,
Thanks for the chicken broth recipe, using up the bones. Horrors, Eek I've been throwing away the carcasses after roasting my birds!!(organic chickens only) And using a whole bird to make soup. This will be a way to save some $$$. Nothing like good homemade soup (and cheap, too.) Yes
Hi Kyle--this will depend on your individual needs as well as your tolerance for sweet things. Carrots are not suggested because cooking them breaks down the fiber in them which slows the pace the sugar goes into the blood. However, the carrots don't stay in the soup, they are only there to give it flavor, so the minute amount of sweetness that goes into it has never affected me poorly... Smile
Hey Ashley,

you should live next to my neighbors if you love fowl, they have two chickens, and killed their own turkey for Thanks Giving.

The weird thing is we live in a suburb, and the chickens are in the pool area of their back yard!!

What a goof huh?

Have a good day all.

Yoga

I love that Ashley posted this several years ago. Bone broth is all the latest nutritoinal rage now as the ketogenic and paleo diets are raising awareness of the importantance of eating pasture raised animal products.

Thank you Ashley!

Also, I recommend adding a little bit of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to the broth to help increase the mineral transfer to the fluid. This will also help the collagen come out of the bone. And, cooking on low for up to 12 hours is wonderful.

Take care,

Tarilee

PS Here's an article on bone broth

Add Reply

Likes (0)

Disclaimer: Information provided on the Whole Approach website, forum or blog has been obtained from a variety of resources. It is provided for educational purposes only. The information provided by Whole Approach, WholeApproach Representatives, including Tarilee Cornish, should not be considered diagnostic or medical advice. None of the information provided by Whole Approach is intended to replace the guidance of your personal health care practitioners and/or physician. Please consult your licensed medical or naturopathic physician before beginning, or making changes to your supplement, diet or exercise protocol.