Food combining is known as a diet strategy designed to lighten the load on the digestive system by combining specific foods that utilize complimentary digestive efforts in order to break them down.
Food combining is actually more of a "food separation" theory, separating foods according to the speed at which they are digested. The theory explains that fruit is digested much more quickly than other foods and is believed to ferment in the intestines if eaten with other foods that take appreciably longer to digest. Therefore, it is recommended that fruit be eaten separately from other foods (once it is reintroduced into the diet).
Also, combining refined carbohydrates with oils, limits the bodies abilty to healthfully assimilate the oils.
Tips for food separating
- Eat fruit on its own.
- Don't eat concentrated proteins like meat, dairy, fish, cheese, protein powders etc. with concentrated starches like grains or sugars or fruits
- Don't combine bean protein with dairy or meat protein
- Use Probioplus DDS Acidophilus daily (up to eight capsules per day) to increase your digestive system's resilience and tolerance
- Avoid drinking cold water just before a meal as it suppresses gastric secretions.
- Be aware that coffee can create premature emptying of the stomach by relaxing the ileo-secal valve, sometimes leading to indigestion and heartburn.
- To aid digestion after a meal, try green tea or a blend of green tea and other digestive herbs such as Traditional Medicinals - Eater's Digest.
- Use AbsorbAid Platinum enzymes to do some of the work for your digestive system. Take 1 Capsule before meals or heavy snacks.
Food Combining and blood sugar
It's hard to know just what to do when you want the digestion relief of food combining, but you have to negotiate with unstable blood sugar. If this is the case for you, you'll have to do some experimenting to see what will be more important to your well being - balancing your blood sugar or lightening up your digestive stress. Eating primarily low glycemic carbohydrates and eliminating fruits will help to keep your blood sugar balanced even while you practice food combining (separating).
Using the AbsorbAid Platinum Digestive enzymes with every meal can be very useful in minimizing negative reactions from less than optimal food combinations by doing some of the work for the body. I highly recommend them for anyone with digestive challenges. You can find Digestive Enzymes in our online shop.