Backpacking help

I am going on a few backpacking trips in about a month. I'm still in phase one of the clense and I will be then. I can't take my shakes with me, that I realize. But what the heck do I eat? Right now the bulk of what I eat is green vegetables and organic meat. We have to carry all of our food and have no means of refridgeration only a small camp stove. Help! I will not give this trip up because right now things like this keep me going.
Original Post
hmmm that's a tough one...I'm planning the same kind of thing myself for this summer (I'm still in stage one as well).
I'm planning on taking lots of nuts and seeds, you can make things like amaranth brownies or other safe baked goodies. I always take some frozen meat with me so it's still good, if pasked strategically, for at least one whole day. You can also take lots of quinoa - some for breaky and some for dinner.
The veggies part is tough though - at your local camping store you may be able to find some safe veggy meals (the dried up and light kind good for backpacking). I know it's not ideal but at least you won't have a major breakout from cheating for a couple days.

How long is your backpacking trip?

Alli
I'll also need some ideas for travel food. My band is going on tour this summer, so we'll be relying on roadside restaurants! I don't know what I'm going to do for two weeks.

My boyfriend did rely on sunflower seed biscuits this past weekend. He was camping and couldn't take refridgerated food, so I made him about thirty of those biscuits, brown rice and a couple avocados. He doesn't have candida really bad like I do, but went on the diet without cheating to support me, and because he feels better without sugar and all that.

Marisa
Hi Fighttowin,

What about taking a whole bunch of dehydrated veggies and some organic seasonings? How about sprouting seeds and keeping them in a jar that you can rinse with filtered water twice a day? Will you have a purifier with you?

You can soak your nuts/seeds and just change the water twice a day and these will be very digestible. If quinoa works well for you, you could likely increase your intake of this for a few days as you will be likely using up your carbohydrates almost as quickly as you eat them.

I would also recommend having some sprouting mung beans on the go as they are super easy to fry up in a few minutes at your camp site.

I'm not sure what foods you normally rely on so my recommendations may or may not be helpful. I'm just suggesting what I would do. I like the idea of making your own crackers too. That's smart. You could consider using some mung bean flour for some of those. That works well.

Best of luck and have a fabulous trip!!! Smile

TLC
I just remembered one of the campfoods I was eating last summer at the Rainbow festival; it was stinging nettle soup! Yeah, I know it sounds funny, but it's actually a really nutritious plant, and it tastes really good. This was in Germany, but I'm sure that they grow in lots of places in North America. Just gather a bunch of leaves (carefully, they do sting) and simmer them in a pot of water over the fire until the flavor is as rich as you like. If you have vegetables or seasonings with you, add those. The nettle leaves will have about the consistancy of seaweed (like in miso soup) when cooked all the way.

Marisa

I thought this was a fun, timely topic too. 

On a back packing trip, for breakfast, I might bring sprouted flax powder (Organic Traditions has one), vanilla stevia drops, shelled hemp seeds, and some coconut milk powder (just add water), some coconut cream (to grate into it) and, if you're on a later stage of the diet, you might bring (or pick) fruit to  combine. Combining all ingredients makes like a yummy cold 'pudding porridge' but you can also add the liquid on top of the bowl rather than mixing it in.

Enjoy!

Add Reply

Likes (0)

Disclaimer: Information provided on the Whole Approach website, forum or blog has been obtained from a variety of resources. It is provided for educational purposes only. The information provided by Whole Approach, WholeApproach Representatives, including Tarilee Cornish, should not be considered diagnostic or medical advice. None of the information provided by Whole Approach is intended to replace the guidance of your personal health care practitioners and/or physician. Please consult your licensed medical or naturopathic physician before beginning, or making changes to your supplement, diet or exercise protocol.