*Zucchini Muffins

September 21, 2008 5:39 AM

Hi Jo--

I see you're not a new member but I'll welcome you anyway!!

With the questions you have, you may want to post in the candida diet section of the forum because many more people will see it there, including our moderator Tarilee... Big Grin

You should be able to use whatever flour you tolerate but will likely have to adjust things here and there--you won't know until you try it. Just melt the butter for ghee--the veggie glycerin is a sweetener so you'll have to add some liquid to make up for the loss and some stevia/chicolin mix to get the sweetness. Bean flour is very heavy and often times has a strong taste, so just beware of that. You will probably need a alittle extra flour if using bea too...

Have you checked out the cravings article in the main section--it can be a help when you're really in the thick of it!!

Take care,

Ashley

Like Like (0 likes)
PermalinkView Printer Friendly Format

September 21, 2008 8:57 AM

Thank you Ashley!!

I am appreciative of the heads up on the bean flavor for sure! The last thing I want to do is make a big (family sized since we're all doing this) portion and waste it all because it didn't turn out!

Like Like (0 likes)

December 26, 2008 1:55 PM

Hello,
So far I've been unsuccessful in finding vegetable glycerine here in Halifax. I'm guessing this is used as a binder. Could I use free-range egg or coconut oil instead?

Like Like (0 likes)

December 27, 2008 6:45 AM

Hi shaunaO,

Veggie Glycerine is a sweetner. Combined with the Stevia/chicoline mix, it gives a nice flavor. I found it at the health food store in the beauty supply section the first time. Then another store had it with the spices. I buy the Frontier brand, but Ashley buys it online. Bigger bottle, better value. I just haven't gotten around to that yet.

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place and has helped me immensely on my journey to better health!

GayAnn

Like Like (0 likes)

August 18, 2009 2:52 PM

Hi there Yacky Jo...I don't know if you're still on the forum, but I have substituted stevia and water for the glycerine a few times w/ success. You can certainly grind brown rice,but the sweet brown rice makes for better binding. I'm sure you could grind the beans, but I'd wash and dry them first. of course you may have some digestion issues. If you have time, cook them first, then dry and then grind. Lots of work, eh?

Like Like (0 likes)

December 3, 2009 4:50 PM

The first time I made this recipe the taste was very good. However, I used brown rice flour because I did not have any spelt flour and they crumbled all over the place. My husband agreed that they tasted really good but the texture was like cardboard. So I tried them again but this time subsituted an egg for the water and they texture was sooo much better.

Like Like (0 likes)

February 18, 2010 6:57 AM

I have a question and it might seem like a silly one so forgive me Confused I made these and I thought they tasted bad. Do you have to peel the zucchini first before you grate it or do you use it with the skin on? I really want to try and make these again.

Like Like (0 likes)

February 18, 2010 1:45 PM

I just scrub the zuchini and grate it with the skin on.

Like Like (0 likes)

March 4, 2010 10:03 PM

Hi, I am new to this diet,and am soo confused.
I have only been on my cleanse a day now, but I got soo hungry and I didn't really know what to eat, I had 2 spelt biscuits, and felt fine.
Can I have spelt biscuits or cookies using stevia or veg glycerin. I am more so curious about flours in the phase one diet. Wheat I know I can't have, but spelt, i don't know. Also what about brown rice, can I eat brown rice in moderation in phase one? I am so puzzled, since I am a vegan, I don't know what I can eat since, what I use to eat, I see that I can't. confusedangry

Like Like (0 likes)

March 5, 2010 6:53 AM

HI there.

You should definitely check out the food list that you can link to from the home page of Whole Approach. Spelt and kamut, wheat, etc. all contain gluten and are best avoided during Phase 1. I have heard that soaking these grains can make them more tolerable, but I have avoided them so far. You can have the other grains that are listed (brown rice, millet, teff, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth...). I have found some other grains that I am looking into due to allergy issues: sorghum, job's tears, kaniwa (relative of quinoa), and of course, bean flours. Happy to help w/ shopping issues if you live in the States. Let me know and keep in touch....

Like Like (0 likes)

May 3, 2010 9:18 PM

I made this with 1 cup brown rice flour and 1/2 c kamut and i added 1 egg - excellent !

Like Like (0 likes)

June 5, 2010 1:52 PM

I made this today but I used a loaf pan instead of a muffin tin and it turned out great! love2

I can't have gluten so I used 1 cup of brown rice flour and 1/2 cup ground flax seed. Used stevia instead of vegetable glycerine and added an egg in place of the water.

Like Like (0 likes)

August 2, 2011 7:52 AM

stonesteaden- do you follow the WholeApproach diet? Most of your recipes are inappropriate for an anti-candida diet. We aren't allowed to have sugar, gluten, honey, walnuts, etc.

This site is full of information! Please be sure to check out the welcome page and food lists.

Like Like (0 likes)

February 25, 2012 7:58 AM

Hi,

I'm new here and I have a question about the vegetable glycerin. It looks like it's listed as skin care on the NOW Brand website. Is this the same stuff that is used for cooking?

Thanks!

Like Like (0 likes)

February 27, 2012 11:31 AM

Hi there,

Welcome to Whole Approach. I found your post in the recipe section. Th best sections to put your future questions in are the Q and A sections. Hover your mouse over the support forums above this page section and you'll see a drop down of the various forum sections.

Whenever you buy glycerin for recipes, make sure it is food grade and not from gmo corn. Although we have many recipes listed here with glycerin, its not my favourite sweetener. I find it smokes when cooked, it's very sweet tasting and it make she personally feel as if I'm getting a blood sugar rush- though it's not what you'd expect given its nutritional profile. This may just be an intolerance that is unique to me as many people on this forum do enjoy using it but it colours my perspective on it. My preference, when possible is to use inulin and stevia sweeteners or the yacon syrup- you can even use all three together. These are less processed foods and the inulin and yacon are from organic sources. The vanilla stevia and liquid stevia products you'll see there are quite nice and they do have a base of coconut glycerin. However, you only use very small quantities of the liquid as it's the stevia which gives it the main sweetness. 

Here's a link to the sweeteners section on the Whole Approach website.

I think you're new to the forum too so I'll include a link to our welcome section that will fill you in on our program, diet and website services and products. I'm here every Monday and Friday for a short bit to answer questions on the forum so let me know if I can 'lend a hand' while you're getting to know the site and/or starting up your Whole Approach health recovery program. Take good care and Happy Reading!

Tarilee

Like Like (0 likes)

March 5, 2012 10:59 AM

Hi there,

This muffin might be a better fit for you? It has a small amount of glycerin in it but you could experiment with leaving it out increase the stevia/inulin by 1/8 tsp or so. Because they are made with bean flour, the batter doesn't taste good till it's cooked into muffins.

Sweet courgette (zuchinni) muffins

The recipe below makes 6 muffins. I usually make 6 sweet and 6 savoury courgette muffins (see recipe in “Snacks, beverages …” section) at one time or 6 orange and 6 lemon ones and freeze them. You will need a baking tin with 6 or 12 deep wells plus deep muffin paper cases.

I use a mixture of inulin and stevia for my powdered sweetener. If you’re using something different, you may need to adjust the amount through trial and error. I measure the fat in dessertspoons because that’s what fits in the jar. When I measure out 3 dessertspoons of coconut oil, it’s hard. When melted, it measures approx 4 dessertspoons and this works fine. When I made the muffins with ghee made from salted butter they were far too salty, so I suggest unsalted butter if you want to use ghee here.

Orange courgette muffins
¾ cup chick pea flour, sifted (or brown rice flour mixed with sweet rice flour 4:1 ratio)
If above flours are not available you could also experiment with a 1/2 cup of brown rice flour with a 1/4 cup of finely ground flax.
¾ cup ground almonds or almond flour
2 tsp cream of tartar mixed with 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, mixed together (or use 1 tsp gluten free, aluminium free baking powder, if you can get it)
¾ tsp xanthan gum or 1/3 tsp psyllium husk powder
3 tsp inulin/Stevia mix
¾ cup grated courgette (that’s approx. one small or half a large courgette)
Zest of 1 large organic orange
¾ cup fresh cranberries (optional)

3TBSP vegetable glycerine
1 tsp orange flavouring (optional)
3 dessertspoons melted coconut oil/butter or ghee 
¼ cup water

1. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180 C/350 F
2. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the almonds, the cream of tartar/bicarb mix or baking powder, the xanthan gum (if using) and the FOS/Stevia mix. Mix well.
4. Add grated courgette and cranberries (if using) and mix.
5. Add the vegetable glycerine, orange flavouring, melted coconut oil/butter or soft ghee and ¼ cup water and mix. 
6. Place paper cases in the individual wells of the muffin tin.
7. Spoon mixture into paper cases.
8. Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes (check them before this) or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.

Variations
Lemon flavour: Replace the orange zest with the zest of 1 large lemon and replace the orange flavouring + water with 2 TBSP lemon juice. Alternatively use 1 tsp lemon flavouring + the ¼ cup water

Blueberry flavour: In Stages 3 you can use fresh blueberries* or a mixture of blueberries (for stage III) and cranberries. In Stage 1, for blueberry flavour, Tia recommends making a cup of strong blueberry tea (sugar free from Celestial Seasonings) and adding this as the liquid.

Like Like (0 likes)

May 3, 2013 12:40 PM

Hello,

So, I would like to make the muffins but I am unable to use rice, quinoa, spelt or almond flours. Please let me know which flours I could use  and the amount I should use to make the biscuits. Thank you so much. I so want to try these!

Like Like (0 likes)