This is an excerpt from an article on the Organic Consumers website. Link to the full article and link to a donations page for them, below:
The majority of U.S consumers now say they prefer organic foods.
Consumers are now spending over $100 billion dollars a year in the U.S.over 15 percent of all grocery stores salesfor products they sincerely believe are healthier and better for the environment, animals, small farmers and the climate.
So lets get more specific about organic standards and why you should care about them. Here are 10 reasons why millions of health and green-minded Americans are buying organic foods and products:
1. Organic foods are produced without the use of Genetic Engineering or Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs).
2. Organic farming prohibits the use of toxic pesticides, antibiotics, growth hormones and climate-destabilizing chemical fertilizers.
3. Organic foods and farming are climate-friendly.
4. Organic food certification prohibits nuclear irradiation.
5. Very few cases of food poisoning have ever been linked to organic farms or food processors in comparison to conventional farmed foods.
6. Consumers are concerned about billions of pounds of toxic municipal sewage sludge dumped as "fertilizer" on 140,000 of America's chemical farms.
7. Consumers worry about the routine practice of grinding up slaughterhouse waste and feeding this offal (the parts of a butchered animal that are considered inedible by human beings) and issues like human mad-cow disease called CJD, often misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's disease.
8. Consumers care about the humane treatment of animals. Organic farming, by law, prohibits intensive confinement of farm animals.
9. Consumers are concerned about purchasing foods with high nutritional value and as few as possible synthetic or non-organic ingredients.
10. Consumers care about preserving America's family farms, they care about world hunger, and the plight of the world's two billion small farmers. Just about the only small farmers who stand a chance of making decent living these days are organic farmers, who get a better price for their products.
For all these reasons, millions of American consumers are turning to organic foods and other organic items, including clothing and body care products. Its part of an overall movement toward healthy living, preserving the environment and reversing global warming.
Make a donation to the wonderful and essential, Organic Consumers Association