Squash with Brussel Sprouts and Chestnuts is a festive, quick and easy dish to make for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Squash with Brussel Sprouts and Chestnuts is a classic Thanksgiving recipe. I make it year after year. It’s festive enough to make both a healthy Thanksgiving side dish as well as a wonderful vegetable dish for Christmas.
I love Squash with Brussel Sprouts and Chestnuts because it is an especially wonderful combination of fall vegetables. Sweet butternut squash (any winter squash is likely to work in this recipe), along with tender brussel sprouts and nutty chestnuts, combine to make a wonderful Paleo Thanksgiving vegetable dish that your guests will not forget.
Look for shelled, pre-cooked chestnuts.
Squash with Brussel Sprouts and Chestnuts
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat
- Caramelize onion, sautÉing 10-15 minutes until golden brown
- Add brussel sprouts and squash to skillet, cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add water to skillet, cover, and cook for an additional 4-6 minutes, until vegetables are fork tender
- Stir in chestnuts and salt
Makes 6-8 servings