Socca "Garbanzo Bean Pancake" Recipe - Great for PIZZA!

From my understanding, "Socca" are pancakes made of garbanzo [chickpea] flour common in some areas of France.

After researching various socca recipes, most had a ratio of 1:1 water:flour and added 5-6 tablespoons of oil. I decided to experiment without the oil. 

Let's be honest! I just wanted a vehicle for pizza toppings! 

I found the ratio 1 part water to 1.5 parts sifted flour would do the trick. You can any herbs you like to the batter! Dill, Herbs de Providence, Rosemary, or eat it plain!  

The following recipe is what I used as my "pizza crust" in the picture. I baked the crust in a parchment paper lined 9-inch pie plate. The socca was about 1/2 inch thick:

1 cup water
1 1/2 cups garbanzo bean flour, sifted (I used a "sprouted bean" brand) 
1 Tablespoon basil, dried
1 Tablespoon oregano, dried
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder 

Measure 1 1/2 cups of flour into sifter and sift into a medium sized bowl. Add the water to the bowl. Using a wire whisk, mix flour and water until flour is completely incorporated. Add in basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder. Mix well. Let batter rest for at least 30 minutes. The batter should be the consistently of cake batter.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a pan with parchment paper and pour batter onto the lined pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown. 

note: I've never tried this, but I believe you can let the batter sit up to 12 hours. Make a batch and have it ready to put in the oven when you get home from work!

**All ingredients used were organic 

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´¸.•*")¸.•*") ¸.•*")
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ « IVA »

Attachments

Photos (1)
Original Post

I used cast iron last week!

Preheated the pan with my oven. Sprayed pan with avocado oil,  sprickled organic dried Italian seasoning on top of the oil and added the batter to the hot pan. Then baked the crust.

It was a crispier. But I think using less batter would make a thinner, crispier crust.

Hello! I've been gone for a week at a cabin with my in-laws. It has everything but internet (Yes. Those cabins still exist! lol) My garden is a jungle of weeds. I'm thinking on setting some batter out today while pulling weeds and make pizza in a cast iron tonight!. I'll let you know how it goes.

Another thought I had is trying a pancake-sized one on a griddle. Might make an easier frozen pizza crust but….it might spread out too thin too. I figure it's worth a try!

Add Reply

Disclaimer: Information provided on the Whole Approach website, forum or blog has been obtained from a variety of resources. It is provided for educational purposes only. The information provided by Whole Approach, WholeApproach Representatives, including Tarilee Cornish, should not be considered diagnostic or medical advice. None of the information provided by Whole Approach is intended to replace the guidance of your personal health care practitioners and/or physician. Please consult your licensed medical or naturopathic physician before beginning, or making changes to your supplement, diet or exercise protocol.