*Holiday Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Pie
1 envelope unflavored gelatin or 1 Tablespoon coarse agar flakes
1 Cup water
1 16 oz Can pumpkin
1/4 tsp white stevia powder
1 T pumpkin pie spice
1 baked pie crust

Sprinkle gelatin or agar flakes over 1 cup water in a medium size saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat until the gelatin or agar is dissolved. Add the pumpkin, stevia and pumpkin pie spice and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is warmed through. Pour the filling into cooled baked pie crust and refrigerate the pie.

Pie Crust (for two crust pie or two one crust pies)
3 C oat flour (could also substitute almond flour - for each cup, add 1 T tapioca flour too )
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C oil (coconut or macadamia) or ghee
1/4 C water

Combine flour and salt in large bowl. Add the oil and blend with a pastry cutter. Add the water and mix dough until it begins to stick together, adding extra water if necessary. For one crust pies, press half the dough in a glass pie dish and gently prick with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes until the bottom of the crust begins to brown.

Pumpkin Pie

Attachments

Photos (1)
Original Post
Libby, I can't take credit for this recipe I found it in the archives here. I did finally try this recipe. It was pretty good. I don't see any reason that spelt flour couldn't be used. Go for it! As for the cream I will post one....I haven't tried it either.
Linda,
Thank you so much for this pumpkin pie recipe. I made it for my husband last night and he absolutely loved it. At first he couldn't believe that he could actually have it, and that he could eat dessert (in moderation of course). The only thing was that I had to change the recipe a little to accomodate the stage one diet. I used buckwheat flour instead of the oat. I am so happy it came out good!! Thank you!!! yippee
I used buckwheat flour as well and it turned out wonderful! This was my first dessert treat as I just started this diet last week. MMMM MMMMMMMM!!!! Pumpkin pie is my all time favorite dessert and I'm glad that I was able to find this recipe. I was so worried that my family who isn't on this diet would go "EW, YUCK!" when they tasted it. But they replied to my eager stares with "What are you looking at? It tastes like pumpkin pie!" Thanks for this great recipe!
I tried making this pie for Canadian Thanksgiving. The crust turned out okay (I used 2 cups buckwheat four and 1 cup brown rice flour). The crust didn't want to stick together at first, so I ended up adding more water and oil. Next time, I think I will try a mixture with sweet rice flour or spelt next time.

The filling was okay as far as texture goes. I found some agar flakes at a local health food store. I also used less pumpkin pie spice. (I made the spice from a mixture of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger from a recipe I have.) The main problem was that it wasn't sweet enough. I used liquid stevia (about 8 drops) and added 1 tsp of veggie glycerine. When I had it with dinner, I tried putting some more liquid stevia on top, but that didn't work too well. My husband solved the problem by sprinkling quite a bit of white sugar over it, but of course I couldn't do that. Today I had some with plain goat milk yogurt on top. It was better (I guess because the pie tasted sweeter relative to the tart yogurt). It sounds like other people have used the powdered stevia and it turned out okay. I'll probably try that next time. I also wonder about adding a little bit of rice milk to the filling to make it creamier. I have a family recipe that uses scalded milk and egg - so that's my idea of a "real" pumpkin pie.
Last year I made the other pumpkin pie recipe that is here- this year I made this one. I just wanted to post that this recipe was sooooooo easy and quick and turned out delicious. The reason I chose this one this year was because I needed one that didnt bake (because of the crust I used). Due to a mistake, I changed the recipe a bit. I started off using the agar flakes but added way too much pumpkin pie spice. What I then did was doubled the pumpkin and water and added a pack of gelatin (because I was out of agar flakes)- so what I ended up with was a doubled recipe with half agar and half gelatin- it worked great.
For the crust I used 1.5 cups of frozen pecans (almonds would be more diet friendly but I splurged a little this year). Process until the biggest pieces are about the size of lentils. Add 3 tablespoons of melted butter (I used a little coconut oil as well) and sweetener (I used stevia to taste and about 1.5 T glycerin) and process until smooth. Pat into a pie pan and refrigerate.
My family has always eaten hot maple syrup on top of our pumpkin pie (with whipped cream on top of that- I skipped the whipped cream but couldnt go without syrup). I just heated veggie glycerin, stevia and maple flavoring to make the right flavor- served hot on the pie- delicious! elephant

Add Reply

Likes (2)
MandyMac712

Disclaimer: Information provided on the Whole Approach website, forum or blog has been obtained from a variety of resources. It is provided for educational purposes only. The information provided by Whole Approach, WholeApproach Representatives, including Tarilee Cornish, should not be considered diagnostic or medical advice. None of the information provided by Whole Approach is intended to replace the guidance of your personal health care practitioners and/or physician. Please consult your licensed medical or naturopathic physician before beginning, or making changes to your supplement, diet or exercise protocol.