I rarely recommend dairy products and in this case, I'm going to include this recipe with a potential substitution idea (haven't tried it)
If you have a Vitamix and access to shelled hemp seeds or non dairy yogurt, you can make this non dairy.
J P Fanton, “ The Healthy Fellow “, has discovered the healthiest way to enjoy frozen yogurt or ice cream is generally to make it at home. This tasty yogurt recipe may be made with or without an ice cream maker.
Why Avocado ? They are good for you !! Each avocado contains potassium, folic acid, Vitamin K, dietary fiber, and plenty of the desirable monounsaturated fats. AND, if that’s not enough, avocados contain an abundant reservoir of cancer-fighting phytochemicals, plus lutein, and vitamin E. JP made this recipe and he can be found at healthyfellow.com.
• 1 cup unsweetened Blue Diamond™ vanilla almond milk
• 5 dropperfuls of NuNaturals Alcohol Free Stevia Liquid™
• 2 large organic, omega-3 enriched egg yolks
• 2 medium, organic, ripe avocados
• 1 cup plain Greek, whole-milk yogurt (or non dairy unsweetened nut or coconut yogurt) or a yogurt like consistency with Vitamix blended shelled hemp nuts
• the juice from one organic lemon
• the zest of one organic lemon
• ½ teaspoon organic vanilla extract
• ¼ teaspoon of NutraSalt™, or salt
• Start with a chilled metal bowl from your freezer.
• Zest the rind of one lemon & add to a 1 ½ quart pot along with the almond milk, NuNaturals Liquid Stevia, & vanilla extract. Warm the mixture over low heat.
• In separate bowl, whisk two egg yolks. Add the egg yolks to the warm almond milk & stir continuously with a wooden spoon until it thickens. You’ll know it’s ready when the liquid coats the back of the spoon. This usually takes 4-5 minutes. Don’t skimp on the stirring, insufficient stirring could result in “scrambling” of the eggs. Once thick, pour the warm liquid into the chilled metal bowl & whisk in the Greek yogurt.
• Peel & cube the avocado & place the cubes in blender with the juice of one lemon & the cooled milk/yogurt mixture. Blend until smooth.
• Either pour the contents into an ice cream maker, or appropriate size freezer container. If using ice cream maker follow Mfg. instructions. OR place your mixture in covered container in freezer, & stir every hour for a total of 4-5 hours. Best served soon after you make it for soft consistency or it will freeze hard and you might want to defrost a little before serving until desired consistency.
Yields 4 servings