Lemon Curd From HelenUK (also in the WholeApproach Recipe Book)
If you have unpleasant memories of shop bought lemon curd from when you were a child, put those memories out of your mind. This lemon curd tastes nothing like that artificial tasting 1970s jam tart filling! In fact, it is absolutely delicious.
This recipe makes more than enough to fill one 350ml capacity jar (I use an empty tahini jar). Use it as a sweet spread on crackers, muffins, biscuits or pancakes, or as a filling for a larger cake. If you’re using different sweeteners, adjust to your taste.
1/3 cup ghee (approx. 11 dessertspoons)
5 tsp Inulin/Stevia mix** (available in WholeApproach Store: Inulin, Stevia)
3 large eggs
Zest and juice of 2 organic lemons
3 TBSP vegetable glycerine
1 dessertspoon arrowroot mixed with water (sorry I didn’t note down how much, but you’ll see when you make it how much you need)
1. Sterilize the jar and lid as follows. Wash in hot soapy water, rinse and, without using a towel to dry, place the wet jar and lid in a low oven (Gas mark 1/ 140 C/ 275 F) to dry. When they’re dry, turn off the heat and leave them there till you’re ready to fill the (still warm) jar.
2. Melt the ghee in a non-stick saucepan.
3. Add all the other ingredients and whisk to a custard over a gentle heat. Don’t go away and leave it, or else you’ll get scrambled eggs.
4. Taste and adjust sweeteners as necessary.
5. Pour the curd into the warm sterilised jar. Leave to cool then put the lid on and keep the jar in the fridge.
It’s very satisfying to spoon the curd that doesn’t fit into the jar straight into your mouth, but do beware of bingeing tendencies!
I haven’t tested any of the three recipes below. A recipe exists for the lime curd, but the other two are just my ideas.
Instead of lemons, use the zest of one lime and 125 ml lime juice (that’s the juice of approx. 4 limes). Adjust the sweeteners to taste.
Lemon and lime curd
Try the zest and juice of one lemon + the zest of one lime and the juice of two.
Orange and lemon curd
Try the zest of and juice of one lemon + the zest of one large orange + 1 tsp orange flavouring.
**How to mix and use Spoonable Stevia/Inulin mix (tastes like sugar but low glycemic and candida-safe)